On-line shopping of the eyeglasses has garnered popularity in recent times. Procuring glasses on line is definitely one of the best ways to save money and trips to your optometrist. More and more people prefer to buy eyeglasses on line because of several advantages associated with it. However, there are certain wearers who are still hesitant about buying glasses on line. They have their own set of doubts which stops them from making use of this smart and convenient mode of procuring eyeglasses. Here we have tried to answer few of the commonly asked questions about purchasing prescription glasses on-line.
- Can contact lens prescription be used for ordering prescription glasses on line?
This is the most common confusions that many of the eye glass wearers are stuck with. It is not wise to order eyeglasses on line with the contact lens prescription. This is because, very often prescription for contact lenses are different from that for your eyeglasses. Hence, procuring a prescription sunglass with a contact lens prescription may not be capable of providing you the desired vision correction.
- What is pupillary distance and how can that be measured?
Pupillary distance generally refers to the distance between both your eyes. You need to mention your pupillary distance while purchasing prescription glasses on line. This is because pupillary distance helps in aligning the center of your eyeglass lenses to the center of your eyes. Generally, your optometrist provides you the PD measurement along with your prescription. You too can measure it in millimeters with the help of a ruler. All you have to do is measure the horizontal distance from the center of one pupil to the other.
- What does O.D, O.S and other such jargons in the prescription stands for?
Most of the customers are not aware of the some of the common terms that are used in their prescription and this is the reason why many of them, find it difficult to update their prescription while buying eyeglasses on line. Some of the commonly used jargons that are used in the prescription of the eyeglasses and their definitions are mentioned below:
- O.D. -This stands for Oculus Dexter and it is a Latin word for the right eye.
- O.S. – This stand for Oculus Sinister which is a Latin word for the left eye.
- D.V. – This is an abbreviation for distance vision.
- N.V – stands for near vision. It represents a single vision lens prescription that helps in the improvement of the near work.
- SPH – This stands for Spherical Refractive Error and it refers to the measurement of the lenses that are required in order to correct vision.
- CYL – This refers to the amount of astigmatism in the eye.
- AXIS – This refers to the direction of the astigmatism.
- PRISM – refers to the adjustments of the lenses that are required for the eyes to work together.
- BASE – refers to the direction of the measurement of the PRISM.
PD – This stands for the pupillary distance and refers to the distance between both the pupils.
These are some of the commonly asked questions by most of buyers of the eyeglasses on line. Though the list is endless, the above given questions and their probable answer will be helpful to some extent in procuring eyeglasses on line.