Choosing the right kind of printing paper is a very important task. As often as possible you should ask questions. There are numerous books that tackle this in detail and you can even consult your local printer to help you choose the right paper for your project. In fact, we get almost a dozen of inquiries about this. There are two key factors in this stage: the type of publication you wish to create and the technology you want to use. Therefore we, at Smart Touch Advertising and Promotions, have prepared seven easy guidelines for you to consider before choosing the type of paper.
1. Ask for the method of printing, whether it is offset, web, or digital laser. It will help you and your printer to determine which paper style and grade to choose.
2. Determine the shelf life of the publication. If you are planning to store your brochure for considerably long time, you should probably use a paper which has less acid base to avoid it from turning yellow.
3. Be aware of the finishing and the binding. Most of the time, paper must be laminated, scored or creased mechanically for easier folding. It is a process that must be run with the stock’s grain to avoid tearing. You may want to use a higher paper grade if you want to have your publication scored or creased.
4. Know how often will the publication be handled by people. A higher paper grade means more durability in the long run.
5. Ask for the postal requirement of minimum paper grade thickness. If you must mail the printed material do not forget to inquire your local post office of their requirements.
6. And lastly, match your printing paper to suit your audience. If you are sending out flyers for promotions, you may want to have a lower grade paper. But if you are presenting a brochure to a high profile company then you should make use of a premium, high-gloss paper sheet.
7. Narrow down your choices. You should be able to see and feel the type of paper by requesting your printer for complimentary sheets or printing paper samples in swatch books.
Remember that the paper you choose for your project is as important as your design, printing elements, and visual identity. Not only that you will save time and cost, you also be confident that you are giving a positive impression through your publication. Now that you have these guidelines, you will now be able to choose the right paper for your work smartly and hassle-free.
Smart Touch Advertising and Promotions
Kingdom of Bahrain