The production of sperm is quite a complex process which mainly depends on the functioning the testes. In addition, the low sperm count causes might include improper functioning of the hypothalamus and pituitary glands. Moreover, these glands are the organs controlled by the brain to produce the hormones that trigger sperm production. Furthermore, after production of the sperm, delicate tubes take them until they mix with semen and get ejaculated from the body. And, problem in any of these sensitive processes may lead to reduction in the sperm count. Also, the male fertility can also be affected due to abnormal shape or movement of the sperm.
Low sperm count causes might include health issues and medical treatments, which are mentioned ahead.
1. Men’s fertility might get affected due to the swelling of the veins that are responsible for draining the testes, which might affect normal cooling process of the testes.
2. Infections might lead to this unwanted condition, for example Sexually Transmitted Diseases (STD), mumps orchitis, gonorrhea, or urinary tract infections.
3. Retrograde ejaculation is a condition when sperm enters the bladder instead of emerging out, during orgasm; this reduces the amount of sperm.
4. Any underlying problem that affects the glands that produce testosterone and other hormones is the leading low sperm count causes.
5. There are certain medications that may affect the production of sperm, for instance anabolic steroids, immunosuppressant medications, testosterone replacement therapy, some ulcer medications and certain other medications can affect the male fertility.
Also, there are certain environmental factors that can affect the male fertility. Moreover, over exposure to heat, toxic chemicals, heavy metal exposure, exposure to radiation or X-Rays might lead to male infertility. But, health issues and faulty lifestyle are considered to be the prime low sperm count causes. Some of the causes that may affect the male fertility are mentioned ahead.
1. Anabolic steroids are used to increase muscle strength and growth. But, it might decrease the production of sperm.
2. Alcohol is infamous for its ability to lower testosterone levels. In addition, it might lead to many physical weaknesses, for instance erectile dysfunction and premature ejaculation.
3. Habit of smoking is one of the leading low sperm count causes. Also, secondhand smoking might reduce the male fertility.
4. Emotional stress interferes with the secretion of hormones that are essential for the production of sperm. But, the persisting problem of infertility may also be the cause for stress.
5. Deficiency of the essential nutrients and vitamins is the most appropriate low sperm count causes. Moreover, deficiency of selenium, Vitamin C, zinc and folate might lead men towards infertility.
6. The prime cause for hormonal imbalance is obesity which might lead to the infertility problems also. In addition, men who are underweight might also experience this problem.
7. Age is also considered as a prime factor for infertility. Moreover, a gradual decline in the production of sperm might be experienced by the men older than 35 years.
8. People with the injury in spinal cord might not ejaculate, even though sperm is produced by the body. Due to this, problems related to infertility might occur.