Health and safety is one of the major aspects of an organisation’s smooth and effective functioning. Good health and safety performance ensure an accident free industrial environment. With the constant and untiring effort of various legislative authorities as well as NGO’s, the awareness of Occupational Health and Safety (OHAS) has improved all over the world considerably.
OHSAS 18001 provides a framework to the effective management of OH&S including compliance with the legislation that applies to your activities and identified hazards. The OHSAS 18001 standard prescribes requirements for an Occupational Health & safety (OH&S) Management system to enable an organisation to formulate a policy and objectives, taking into account legislative requirements and the information regarding significant hazards and risks that the organisation can control and over which it can be expected to have an influence, to protect its employees and others, whose health and safety may be affected by the activities of the organisation.
Many organisations will have elements required by OHSAS 18001 already in place which can be supplemented to provide a more cohesive management system to meet the requirements of the standard.
Organisations that implement OHSAS 18001 have a clear management structure with defined authority and responsibility, clear objectives for improvement, with measurable results and a structured approach to risk assessment. This includes the monitoring of health and safety management failures, auditing of performance and review of policies and objectives.
The OH&S management system can be integrated with the management of other aspects of business performance in order to:
• Minimize risk to employees and others
• Improve business performance
• Assist organisations to establish a responsible image
In today’s competitive marketplace, your customers are looking for more than just keen pricing from their suppliers. Companies need to show that their businesses are managed efficiently and responsibly. They can provide a reliable service without excessive downtime caused by work-related accidents.
Due to OSHAS 18001 standard, the organisation can gain the following benefits:
• Customer satisfaction – through delivery of products that consistently meet customer requirements whilst safeguarding their health and property.
• Reduced operating costs – by decreasing down-time through incidents and ill health and reducing costs associated with legal fees and compensation.
• Improved stakeholder relationships – by safeguarding the health and property of staff, customers and suppliers.
• Legal compliance – by understanding how statutory and regulatory requirements impact the organisation and its customers.
• Improved risk management – through clear identification of potential incidents and implementation of controls and measures.
• Proven business credentials – through independent verification against recognized standards.
• Ability to win more business – particularly where procurement specifications require certification as a condition to supply.
Thus, OHSAS 18001 focuses on creating a safe and healthy work environment. Global Manager Group – an ISO consultancy and training company assists to get OHSAS certifications. The company offers a complete range of Occupational Health and Safety Management System Documents.