UTI or urinary tract infection is the infection of the urinary tract caused by pathogenic organisms like bacteria, fungi or parasite. The urinary tract comprises of kidneys, ureters, bladder and urethra and an infection in any of these parts is referred to as UTI. UTI is however a broad term; there are separate medical terms for infection of each of the structures of urinary tract. The terms may be listed as follows:
1. Pyelonephritis (infection of kidneys)
2. Ureter infection (infection of ureters)
3. Cystisis (infection of bladder)
4. Urethritis (infection of urethra)
Escherichia Coli bacterium is the leading cause of most cases of UTI. The other UTI causing bacteria are Klebsiella Psuedomonas, Enterobacter, Proteus, Staphyloccocus, Mycoplasma, Chlamydia etc. The fungi like Candida, Cryptococcus cause UTI. Some UTI causing parasites are Trichomonas, Schistosoma etc. Women are more susceptible to UTI when compared to men. This is because the urethra in women is smaller than men and also because the urethral exit is located very close to vagina where infection causing pathogenic organisms usually reside. The UTI symptoms are: pain or dysuria during urination, burning sensation during urination, passage of blood in urine, cloudy appearance of urine, frequent urge for urination, pain in pubic bone region in women and pain around rectum in men, weak urine stream, lower abdominal pain, bloating, high fever, chills, tremor and vomiting. The factors triggering UTI may be listed as follows:
1. Habit of urine retention
2. Weakened immune system
5. Medical conditions like bladder stones, diabetes, enlarged prostate, sexually transmitted diseases, kidney stones, epididymis, fistulas, bacteremia, AIDS, cancer etc.
6. Urethral strictures or other anatomical defects in the urinary tract.
7. Use of catheters
8. Use of diaphragms by women
9. Use of condoms with spermicidal foam
10. Urological surgery.
1. Mix half teaspoon baking soda in 9 ounces of water and take twice daily. This is a good treatment for UTI.
2. Combine cranberry juice and apple juice to make a glassful and take daily. This dissolves and expels the UTI causing bacteria.
3. Boil root of marshmallow in 150 ml water for sometime. Strain and drink the tea twice daily. This cures UTI.
4. Blend tinctures of Echinacea, buchu, uva, ursi and pipsissewa. Take1 teaspoon of the tincture blends every hourly. This treats severe cases of UTI effectively.
5. Mix oils of bergamot, sandalwood, frankincense and juniper and tree tea and rub the oily blend on the region of the urinary bladder. Do this everyday until UTI subsides
6. Drink glassful diluted apple cider vinegar daily. It supplies the body with necessary enzymes and potassium to combat UTI.
7. Consume Oregon grapefruit in plenty. This will help to get rid of UTI.
8. Consume Vitamin C rich citrus fruits like oranges and lemons in plenty. This makes urine acidic and checks bacterial growth.
9. Drink plenty of fluids and 8-10 glasses of water. This will cleanse urinary tract by flushing out pathogenic organisms.
10. Drinking of blueberry juice inhibits the growth of UTI causing bacteria
11. Stay away from soft drinks, caffeinated beverages, alcohol and smoking
12. Eat fresh vegetables and fiber rich diet to allow thorough cleansing of your system.
13. Do not take anything sour, for that may aggravate UTI symptoms. Avoid hot, spicy food for the same reason.
14. Wear cotton underwear, for cotton keeps the genital area dry and prevents bacteria from thriving.
Read more Home Remedies for Urinary Tract Infection. Also know useful Home Remedies for Thrush.
Leave a Reply