Stuffy nose is a very common condition caused by excessive secretion and accumulation of mucus. The mucus lining of nose gets inflamed, producing large amounts of mucus. This shrinks the air passageway and makes breathing through the nose quite difficult. The factors triggering this condition are: cold and flu infection, blocked sinuses, nasal polyps, enlarged adenoids, deviated nasal septum, use of certain medicated nasal sprays and allergic reaction to dust, pollen, pet dander etc. It is often accompanied by sore throat, fever, headache, body ache and cough.
Home Remedies for Stuffy Nose
1. Steam inhalation is highly effective in clearing nose. Put few drops of eucalyptus oil in to a basin of hot water. Lean over it, cover your head with a towel and breathe in the steam. This thins the mucus and drains it out.
2. Put 2-3 drops of saline water in to your nostrils. This will relieve clear your nose congestion.
3. Sniff an onion or garlic. It helps to clear out stuffy nose.
4. Put few drops of mustard oil in to each nostril. It acts as an irritant, curing nasal stuffiness.
5. Soak a cotton ball in peppermint oil and inhale the scent. This de-congests nose.
6. Mix 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice in a cup of water and take twice daily. This aptly treats this problem.
7. Mix some juice of grape fruit in hot, fuming water and inhale the aroma. This opens up stuffy nose.
8. Consume hot chicken soup with lots of black pepper. This will liquefy mucus and allow easy blowing out.
9. Mix a pinch of cayenne pepper with 1 teaspoon honey and 1 teaspoon lemon juice. Take the mixture twice daily. This is an effective home remedy for stuffy nose.
10. Consume salads after coating them generously with horseradish sauce or Mexican salsa. This eases stuffy nose condition.
11. Heat apple juice and keep sipping from it frequently. This loosens the mucus and clears it out.
12. Take hot, fuming basil tea or any other herbal tea brewed with peppercorn, ginger or honey to get rid of this problem.
13. Rub some menthol under your nose to free it.
14. Vitamin C combats nasal stuffiness effectively. Eat fruits like oranges, lemons and strawberries, for they are rich in Vitamin C.
15. Take shower with hot water. This will help in mucus liquefaction.
16. While lying, place your head on a pillow. The elevation will allow reduction of nasal mucus build up.
17. Use humidifier in your room. This home remedy for stuffy nose will moisten the sinuses, nasal passages and reduce stuffiness.
18. Do not sniffle, for it may result in lung infection.
Read more Home Remedies for Stuffy Nose. Also know useful Home Remedies for Snoring.
Leave a Reply