Graying of hair is an inevitable occurrence as one grows older in years; but if it happens prior to the proper age, it is a nuisance. Gray hair makes one look more than his or her years. It may make the person suffer from inferiority complex and may make him or her feel uncomfortable in social gatherings. Graying of hair does not occur overnight; it is a gradual process. Hair starts to gray when it falls short of the pigments melanin and phaeomelanin. Early graying of hair is triggered by factors like mental stress, deficiency of iron, copper, iodine and Vitamin B in diet, excessive use of hair colors or dyes, excessive use of heat styling tools like hair dryers, curling irons etc, heredity, washing of hair with hot water, working environment hazards, side-effect of certain medications, thyroid gland malfunction, early menopause, high intake of stimulants, skin conditions like vitiligo etc.
Home Remedies For Gray Hair
1. Boil some curry leaves in coconut oil for about 10 minutes. Filter and use the oil for massaging on scalp and hair. This arrests the graying process. Also generously use curry leaves in diet.
2. Cut Indian gooseberries in to small pieces and dry them in shade for 3-4 days. Now boil the dry pieces in coconut oil until the oil becomes dusty black. Massage this oil on scalp and hair at least 2 times a week. This is an effective home remedy for gray hair.
3. Blend 1 tablespoon Indian gooseberry juice, 1 tablespoon almond oil and 1 teaspoon lime juice. Massage the blend on scalp and hair. Wash hair after an hour. This aptly deals with gray hair problem.
4. Blend castor oil, henna and juice of half a lemon and apply on hair. Wash off with a mild herbal shampoo after an hour. This yields rewarding results.
5. Massage scalp with ghee or cow milk butter 2 times a week. This increases melanin production and darkens hair.
6. Mix 2 teaspoon henna powder, 1 teaspoon fenugreek powder, 1 teaspoon yoghurt, 3 teaspoon coffee, 2 teaspoon basil juice and 3 teaspoon mint juice to make a paste. Apply this paste on hair. Keep for 3 hours and then wash off with herbal shampoo. This will encapsulate gray hair by coloring it naturally.
7. Add 1 tablespoon table salt to a cup of strong black tea and massage the blend on scalp. Wash after 1 hour. This treats gray hair problem effectively.
8. Boil some ribbed gourd in coconut oil for 10-15 minutes. Filter and use the oil for massaging on scalp and hair roots. This checks graying of hair.
9. Mix 1 teaspoon grated ginger with little honey and take daily. This relieves gray hair problem
10. Mix 2 teaspoons each of yeast and wheat germ oil in to a glass of buttermilk and drink daily. This stops premature graying of hair.
11. Consume iodine rich food items like banana, carrots and fishes.
12. Consume food items rich in the necessary minerals. Your diet should include chicken, eggs, wheat, apricots, cashews, almonds, oysters, whole grains etc
13. Consume dark green vegetables and yellow fruits.