Thyroid gland disease in which there is a swelling on back of the neck is known as goiter. There are certain factors which can cause goiter such as Grave’s disease, deficiency of iodine, inflammation, Hashimoto’s disease and thyroid cancer. Some of the common symptoms of goiter are coughing, wheezing problems, change in voice, breathing difficulty, throat discomfort, tight or constricted sensation in throat, discomfort during swallowing, emotional outbursts, swelling at base of the neck and unexplained weight loss.
Goiter Home Remedies
There are several home remedies for goiter which are simple to use and are quite safe to be tried at home without any risk of side effects. Some of the popular home remedies for goiter which are being used since a very long time and have proved to be quite effective in many cases are:
1. One of the most effective home remedies for goiter is to consume food rich in iodine. Some of the food sources rich in iodine are garlic, oats, lettuce, turnips, carrots, tomatoes, whole rice, onions, guavas, sea foods, egg yolks, strawberries, pineapples, watercress and citrus fruits.
2. Another effective home remedy is to take some sorrel leaves and then mix it with olive oil to form a paste. You can now apply this mixture on the goiter. Regular practice of this home remedy will prove to be quite effective in treating goiter.
3. Take some dandelion leaves and put some ghee on them. Now warm these leaves and then apply them over the goiter. Make this a daily routine for the next two weeks. This is one of the most effective home remedies for goiter.
4. Take some flax seeds and then grind them in water. Heat this mixture and then apply on the affected region and use a bandage of tree leaves to secure the mixture.
5. Avoid excess consumption of sugar and salt. Stay away from caffeine rich beverages and alcohol.
6. Take some watercress seeds and mix with water to form a smooth paste. Apply this paste on the affected region of your neck. This home remedy will reduce the symptoms of this ailment and will provide sufficient iodine to the body.
7. It is very beneficial to fast for three days and consume juice of fruits and vegetables only. From fourth day you can start having your regular diet.
8. Mix tea almonds with one teaspoon of the juice of the swamp cabbage leaves. Consume this mixture one to two times daily for better results.
9. Thyroid malfunction can be treated by taking cool showers twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening.
10. Try to consume four to five smaller meals in a day instead of larger meals. This will make it easy for the body to digest the food and will help the body to absorb essential nutrients.
11. Every day do some stretching exercises of the neck and daily walk briskly for half an hour.
12. Pineapple juice can also be very helpful in treating goiter. Drink pineapple juice every day for good results.
These were some of the most effective home remedies for goiter which are simple, cost-effective and safe to use.