GERD or gastro-esophageal acid reflux disease is quite common these days. The basic cause of GERD is improper closing of the muscle at the end of esophagus. Esophagus is a tube transporting food from mouth to stomach. When the transportation is over, the ring of muscle at the lower end of esophagus is supposed to act like a valve, relaxing and shutting down the route. If the shutting down does not happen properly, the stomach contents would reflux or leak back in to the esophagus, irritating its walls. This results in GERD (Gastro-esophageal acid reflux disease).
The symptoms of GERD are: heartburn, burning feeling in throat, taste of stomach fluids at the back of mouth, nausea, vomiting, hiccups, chest pain, regurgitation of sour liquid, dry cough, wheezing, trouble swallowing, feeling of choking, feeling of lump in throat, hoarseness of voice, bad breath etc. One who experiences these symptoms more than twice a week is sure to suffer from GERD. People of any age can suffer from GERD. The possible GERD triggers are
3. Alcohol intake
4. Caffeine intake
5. Eating of citrus fruits
8. Eating hurriedly
9. Eating spicy food
10. Wearing tight-fitting clothes
11. Eating close to bedtime
12. Anatomical defects like hiatal hernia, visceroptosis
13. Conditions like hypercalcaemia.
Home Remedies For GERD
1. Take ginger root extracts mixed with honey. This is a proven home cure for GERD.
2. Drink chilled skim milk to get rid of the burning feeling of severe acid reflux.
3. Mix 1 teaspoon cumin powder in 1 glass water and drink early in the morning. This controls gas formation and prevents GERD.
4. Eat lots of papaya. It eases GERD discomforts.
5. Intake of Aloe Vera juice treats GERD effectively.
6. Drink chamomile tea daily. It gives relief from GERD.
7. Every meal should be followed by the eating of 1 apple. This aids digestion and prevents GERD.
8. Drink the juice of 2 raw potatoes daily to get rid of GERD.
9. Soak 5-7 almonds in water overnight. In the morning, remove the skin and eat the almonds.
10. Eat bananas everyday. This will check GERD and make you feel better.
11. Drink lots of water. It checks acid reflux.
12. Stay away from consumption of onion, garlic, citrus fruits and sour sauces.
13. Avoid caffeine intake, alcohol and smoking.
14. Do not take spicy fried food.
15. Do not lie down immediately after meals. Wait for at least 3 hours after eating.
16. Do not wear excessively tight fitting garments. They increase pressure on stomach and cause GERD.
17. Do not eat much at a time; in stead go for frequent short meals.
18. Sleep with head on an elevated position.