Door ironmongery has been around since the ironage. Years ago ironmongery was just a place where ironware was sold, but with time ironmongery changed its meaning. Nowadays ironmongery means joinery where products are made from iron including iron door and window, iron fittings for buildings such as t hinges (tee hinge), locks, latches, handles, knobs, etc.
If you are looking for hinges for door ironmongery you can head to any hardware store where you will find a variety of shapes and sizes to suit your requirements.
How are the hinges fitted?
Hinges are fitted on doors, kitchen cabinets, windows, cupboards, etc to aid free movement. Installing hinges is not a difficult task though one has to know there are different types of hinges for various applications, such as t hinge/tee hinge, butt hinge, barrel hinge, spring hinge, concealed hinge, strap hinge, etc. And yes there are a few fixing tools you will need to fit them; right type of hinge, folding rule, sandpaper, center punch, hand drill, hand saw, wood chisel, hammer, screwdriver, hand drill, level, marker, saber saw, combination square and right size screws.
Follow the steps below to successfully install the hinges:
1) First check if you are installing right-hand or left-hand hinges. Most hinges are reversible where either end can be mounted in a vertical position, but if they are specifically right-hand or left-hand hinges then they cannot be reversed. Therefore selecting the right hinge is crucial.
2) The hinge needs to be installed 5 inches from the top of the door frame and around 10 inches from the bottom. Marking the position of the hinge before hand is always helpful.
3) Mark an outline of the hinge on the door with a pencil or marker and check the precise width and height of the hinge, also mark the placement of the screws to enable easy and efficient fitting.
4) Use a chisel or a hammer to punch holes in the marked area for fitting the hinge. Then clear the area of any wooden chippings to prevent any potential problems when fitting the hinge.
5) The next step is to place the hinge in the correct position, fix the screws, ensure the hinge is the right level on the door frame and that it is firmly fixed.
The above are the basic steps for fitting hinges but as there are different types of hinges for different furniture, following the instructions provided in the hinge manual will be helpful. Also when fitting different types of hinges you may need different tools as well, so make use of them accordingly.
The use of ironmongery in construction has become a trustworthy feature and with many new designs in the architectural ironmongery it can give a total makeover to a building making it look elegant and classy. The ability to improve the aesthetics of the house or building will be admired in the coming years too, and iron door furniture will become a core feature of construction. You may want to visit the website http://www.suffolklatchcompany.co.uk/ to learn more about door ironmongery UK.
Leave a Reply