Diabetes, also known as Diabetes Mellitus, is a metabolic disorder that is becoming increasingly common among people. The carbohydrates consumed by us are converted in to glucose and are made to enter the muscle, fat and liver cells. This fuels or energizes you to perform day to day tasks. An organ pancreas secretes insulin which allows the transportation of glucose from blood stream to the body cells. If this chain of phenomena gets disrupted due to some reason, glucose builds up in blood, leading to diabetes. Diabetes may be classified in to the following types:
1. Type1 diabetes: In this type, body produces less insulin. The amount produced is not sufficient for moving the glucose from blood stream to body cells. As a result glucose collects in blood making you diabetic.
2. Type1 diabetes: In this type, the body cells become unresponsive to insulin. Consequently they fail to absorb the glucose from bloodstream.
3. Gestational diabetes: This type affects women who are pregnant.
Diabetes produces symptoms like excessive thirst, excessive hunger, frequent urination, weight loss, fatigue, blurry vision, irritability and slow healing of wounds. The possible diabetes triggers are heredity, aging, obesity, consumption of high fat diet, pregnancy, excessive alcohol intake, over-eating habits, stress, hypertension, high blood triglyceride levels and physical inactivity. Diabetes can lead to life-threatening complications like, heart disease, stroke, renal failures, blindness, leg ulcers and nerve damage.
Ways to control diabetes:
1. Self monitoring is now possible with devices like Glucometer. This is a boon. You can check your blood glucose levels any time you want and at home. This will help you to take timely precautions and control your soaring blood glucose levels.
2. You can control your diabetes by using external or implanted insulin pumps.
3. Intake of oral hypoglycemic drugs like Thiazolidinediones, Meglitinides, Sulfonylureas, Biguanides etc would help you to keep your glucose levels in check.
4. Consume a diet low in saturated fat and concentrated sweet and rich in fiber.
5. Exercise regularly to do away with obesity, inactivity and also for accelerating the metabolic rate. Brisk walking is quite beneficial as a diabetes control measure.
6. Give up alcohol drinking and smoking.
7. Relieve your stress through yoga, meditation, deep breathing or spas.
8. Learn from a professional the method of injecting insulin. You have to sincerely stick to the routine of taking insulin injections daily. Generally a patient has to take 2-3 insulin injections each day prior to meals.
9. Go for regular medical check ups. It will help you in controlling your diabetes.
10. You can try out the following home remedies for diabetes control:
a) Drink bitter gourd juice every morning to control your diabetes.
b) Chew fresh curry leaves two times daily to get rid of diabetes.
c) Soak fish berries in water overnight. In the morning, crush the berries to extract the juice. Drink it to lower your blood glucose levels.
d) Mix half teaspoon each of dry, powdered bay leaf and turmeric powder with 1 tablespoon Aloe Vera juice. Take the mixture twice daily to check your diabetes.
e) Boil 10-15 mango leaves in 1 glass water. Keep overnight. In the morning, strain and drink the water in empty stomach.
Read about Herbal Treatment for Diabetes. Also know Herbal Liver Cleanser.
Leave a Reply