Part of maintaining your Koi fish pond is to make sure that it is clean. The water should be clean, it should be free from any toxins, clear, and de-chlorinated.
A good maintenance of the pond will prevent any build up of organic wastes. This also concerns preventing over population of fish.
Study and learn on how much food to feed your fish. Too much will cause excess food to settle to the bottom. These will add to the water’s toxicity levels.
In cleaning the pond, you can:
1. Use nets to lift out any wastes that are floating.
2. Use filters at the bottom of the pond to remove algae and mud.
3. Use biological means to change toxins into harmless matter.
4. Add fountains or waterfalls to aerate water.
You can also add baking soda or barley straw extract to regulate algae growth and maintain pH levels of the water.
Koi’s have a tendency to release a lot of waste. It is important to regularly clean your pond or tank annualy.
Some other points that you should take into consideration:
1. Placing your Koi on an aerated tank that is shaded.
2. Checking accessories installed in the pond for any damages.
3. Pressure wash to pond to clear mud and other debris.
4. Placing back all the parts of the pond or tank bank and making sure water is de-chlorinated.
5. Putting water back in th pond or tank and transferring back the Koi’s.
Ramon likes both a fresh and sea water fish. He is currently engaged in making custom fish tanks.